Japan 2013 Day 6: Fushimi Inari

by - 11/17/2013

I wouldn't say that I was hanging the morning after our night out on the town, but I was definitely hurting (Kevin was totally fine). I really wanted to just lay in bed all day, and if I had been at home this sick, I would have done just that. But I was in Japan! And I wasn't going to let anything stop me from seeing something I wanted to see. And I could not live with myself if I completely wasted a day. Clearly, we were not going to make it to Hiroshima. But since I did not get to see Fushimi Inari shrine, that's where we went. I think we started our day somewhere around 12:30 pm, but that was enough time to visit one shrine. 

Next to what I saw in Nara, this was probably my other favorite shrine. I needed to take pictures of all those orange gates in a row, I was determined to get pictures. Sadly, we picked a Sunday to go here, and it was completely packed. There was no way I was going to get a picture of an empty path, and I had to accept that. 

The entrance






Adorable.



We followed tons and tons of people up through the paths, and I thought, well, so much for getting a really beautiful people-less shot. But then, miraculously, everyone disappeared! And I managed to snap this. 


There were food stands on the ground, and this one caught my attention. 


It was taiyaki, but it wasn't taiyaki. The inside was hollow, and you could put different things inside! Kevin got a chocoalte banana one, and I got a matcha and azuki bean one. The man put cornflakes in first, and then put in the other goodies. The tail of the fish was filled with cream. 



After our snack, we had a real meal before heading back to the hotel. Kevin ordered udon, and I ordered oyakodon. It was tasty! 


I definitely was disappointed that we didn't get to see Hiroshima, but I'm really glad that I got to see Fushimi Inari. It was one place that was on my bucket list, and I'm glad I got to see it in the fall.

Tips for Fushimi Inari Shrine: 
  • As anywhere else in Japan, avoid a weekend. 
  • There are no entrance fees here.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Pssst...if you like spooky stories, check out my other website, Weird Hawaii!
//]]>