Asuka Nabe and Cafe Laufer

by - 5/05/2015

On the recommendation of my friend Lea, we checked out Asuka Nabe the weekend we went to the car show. It's not so much like Sweet Home Cafe, where you pick your own meat and veggies. This place is more like Ichiriki Nabe, where you order a set of meat and veggies, and choose your broth. It's also BYOB! I opted for beef and pork with the spicy garlic paitan base, and mixed rice.





I realize that I took no pictures of the broth or actual food in it. There was too much beer involved in this dinner, so you're just going to have to use your imagination. 

Cheers!


After dinner we decided to have dessert at Cafe Laufer, one of my favorite haunts from when I was in college. They have the best desserts, which kind of remind of of Japanese style desserts in that they are lighter and not as sweet. We all got something different, so we could sample each others. 


I think this picture involves wine gel (the aspic with the fruit in it), peach torte (my faaaaavorite), banana Oreo cake, strawberry cheesecake, and pot du creme.

I noticed that Waialae Ave is becoming a much hipper place. There's graffiti (the artsy kind, not the crappy kind), we heard a band practicing, and there are more boutiques than I remember. I wish I had the time to check it out in the daytime! But, we did take advantage of the graffiti. 


Overall, a great start to the weekend. Wish I could see these guys more often. We did the math, and come to realize that me, Eric (the bald one) and Ken (the Asian one) have been friends for at least 12 years. That's a long time! 


Here's to many more years to come!

You May Also Like

0 comments

Pssst...if you like spooky stories, check out my other website, Weird Hawaii!
//]]>