YogurStory

by - 5/08/2015

It was on my Instagram. It was all over my Facebook. There was no escaping the alarmingly purple stack of pancakes that were ube pancakes. Everywhere I looked, there they were. It almost seemed as if all of my friends were going over to Oahu just so they could taunt me with pictures. But, in March, I finally managed to taste the fabled ube pancakes for myself. 

Ube is purple yam. Most people might know it better as Okinawan sweet potato. I think they are the same thing, but I am not entirely sure, so please correct me if I am wrong. Ube is the Tagalog word for it. It is very, very purple. But, more on that later. First, where can you get it?

Yogurstory is located right next to Sorabol (which has awesome Korean food, btw), which is right across the street from Walmart on Ke'eamoku St. It looks kind of small from the outside, but it is actually a two-story restaurant, and it's really cute inside! The wait was maybe around 20-30 minutes. It was crowded on a Saturday morning at 10:00 a.m. 



The menu itself is kind of overwhelming. There are many different things on there broken down into different categories. There's a short list of like their Top 10 or something, and I was torn between the kimchi fried rice omelette, and the prime rib loco moco. Kevin opted for the Belgain waffle and the simple breakfast: eggs over easy, house hash, bacon and toast.


Simple breakfast
Cassandra and I opted to split a kimchi fried rice omelette, a side of bacon, and ube pancakes. I actually thought the omelette would be bigger, I felt it was kind of small. But the bacon was nice and crispy, which I like.

Drizzled with gochujang (hot pepper paste)
And here they are, in all their purple glory!


It was actually alarmingly purple. The sauce on top was ube and coconut sauce. It really did cover the entire stack. The flavor was really mild and not overly sweet, but truth be told, I was disappointed. Everyone made like it was God's gift to the world, ambrosia. But to me it really didn't taste like anything special. I expected there to be more ube flavor, but I honestly tasted more coconut than ube. The hype totally ruined it for me. The kimchi fried rice omelette was good, but you didn't get much for the price. In fact, a lot of the food was kind of pricey. It was $3.25 for a cup of hot tea/coffee!  

Would I go back to Yogurstory? Probably not. The food was good, but not good enough to keep me coming back. Next time, I honestly might just opt for Like Like Drive Inn next door for their awesome fried rice, luncheon meat and pancakes. 

Yogurstory
815 Keeaumoku St.
Honolulu, HI 96814
Phone: (808) 942-0505
Open daily 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Pssst...if you like spooky stories, check out my other website, Weird Hawaii!
//]]>