Kobe Nunobiki Herb Gardens

by - 7/10/2015

*Warning: image heavy post!*

According to their website: Kobe Nunobiki Herb Gardens are Japan’s largest herb gardens with about 75,000 herbs and flowers of about 200 kinds blooming throughout the year. There are 14 garden areas where visitors are welcomed by seasonal herbs and flowers arranged according to different themes.

The fun part is, you have to get to it by going up in cable cars! So right near the train station, there is the ropeway. First and foremost, as is required, something went wrong. The wifi did not get charged the night before, but the battery level said full. So we thought we were good to go. We were wrong. But it was okay, because we brought my fully charged portable battery! But did Kevin pack the cable? No. So we couldn't use it. Luckily, right by the train station was a Tokyu Hands! We were able to get a cord in there, and the wifi saved us all. Or else we would not have been able to get around Kobe! 
But I digress. This is how it started. With cable cars!


Good thing we didn't have to climb up these!



Some warnings
Going down?
I should point out here that Kevin does not like heights. He hates them. So the whole ride up he kept his eyes closed, or at least tried to. He kept saying that he could see things out of the corner of his eyes, but I don't understand why he didn't just keep them closed. I guess someone who isn't afraid of heights would never understand the logic.

What a trooper. 
Kobe below 
Nunobiki Waterfall
Nunobiki reservoir 


When we finally hit solid ground, we were all the way at the top, surrounded by pretty flowers and herbs!



The area was a place with food and a shop and the look out. So I got some tea from the shop made with herbs from the gardens (really, really tasty!), and Kevin and I walked around the grounds.


Do you see the caterpillar?

This area had pretty roses and a fountain.


The cafeteria-type area with a small place to get some food. 


Hotdogs, a sort of rose flavored soda 







So, fun story about this picture. They have these camera stands all over in scenic areas, and you an prop up your cell phone or camera, set a timer, and take a picture. An older Japanese man saw me doing this, and offered to take a picture for us, which I gladly accepted. So I thought he would just take the one and we'd be done, but then he ushered us over to a different spot and took our picture. And then he ushered us to another spot and took our picture! So he took three pictures for us out of the goodness of his heart. What a nice man! 


I thought I would pay it forward, so when we got to another scenic spot, I saw a couple propping up their camera, and I offered to take their picture, and then they took ours. 







Overall, this was probably my favorite thing that I did in Japan this trip. Did I mention that it was cold there? Kobe was cold. And up there, whenever the sun disappeared, I was freezing! But it was a nice change from the heat and humidity of Osaka.

Shin-Kobe Ropeway
Hours: 10:00 to 17:00 (until 20:30 on weekends, national holidays, and July 20 to August 31)
Admission ends 15 minutes before closing time
No closing days
Fees: 1400 yen (round trip and admission to herb garden), 900 yen (one way and admission to herb garden), 800 yen (round trip after 17:00)

Nunobiki Herb Gardens
1-4-3 Kitanocho, Chuo-ku, Kobe City,
Hyogo Prefecture 650-0002 Japan
Hours: 10:00 to 17:00
No closing days
Fees: 200 yen (herb garden only)

You May Also Like

0 comments

Pssst...if you like spooky stories, check out my other website, Weird Hawaii!
//]]>