Sugarpill Cosmetics Feline Fancy! Makeup Collection Review

by - 3/02/2017



Let's talk about Sugarpill Cosmetics. They are an indie cosmetics company owned by Amy Doan, a.k.a. Shrinkle (@shrinkle on Instagram). If you've been around for a while, you might recognize that username from her eBay store from forever ago under the same name. Now, Amy is focused on her cosmetics line,which is cruelty-free and mostly vegan. I haven't been following Sugarpill Cosmetics for long, but from what I can see, they've only done one other eyeshadow collection, which was the Edward Scissorhands collection back in 2015. That one had six shadows and no lipstick. There was also the Pumpkin Spice collection, which contained a limited edition eyeshadow and liquid lipstick (which is still available here), and there is currently a limited edition shade as a collab with the drag queen Kim Chi, which is still in stock. 

The Feline Fancy Makeup Collection is a limited edition set that was released on February 1, 2017, just in time for Valentine's Day. It features a brand new liquid lipstick color and four eyeshadow shades. The packaging is super duper adorable. It features artwork by Brandi Milne. This collection costs $48.00, which is a bit steep in my opinion. There are four shadows that weigh in at 2.5 grams of product each. For comparison, a single mac pressed powder weighs in between 1.3 and 1.5 grams. The palette is very thin, which makes it easy to store in your purse. 

I would describe Brandi Milne's style as a throwback to Victorian Era Valentine's cards. Kind of sweet, kind of creepy (in a good way), and everything looks like it has a candy coating on it. I know that doesn't make much sense, but in my mind it does. I mean, just look at it:


Just looking at it gives me a toothache! This cat looks super cute, but it also looks like it's staring into my soul, and all the sweets surrounding it look delicious, but also kinda creepy with the teeth. See what I mean? Anyway. The back of the packaging is just as cute: 


The sleeve slides off to reveal the palette, which has the same artwork as the sleeve, and the liquid lipstick. 


Under the palette, there's a little reminder to treat yo'self.


Now let's take a look at the colors. The reason I got this palette is because I was living for that red color, Kiss Kiss. I also really liked S.W.A.K. I was meh about the other two shades since I have a lot of colors like those, but I really wanted the other two, and the liquid lipstick. The mirror is really cute, shaped like two hearts, and the pans themself are pretty large. They're rectangular, which is not a shape I have from any other brand.


The nice thing about this palette is that, even though they are all eyeshadows, you could easily use S.W.A.K. as a blush, and Wink as a highlighter, so it's versatile that way. This kit does not come with a brush, however. But no biggie, since I rarely ever use included brushes anyway. Now let's get to the swatches: 

Finger Swatch
BAM. Look at those colors. That is what you call a red eyeshadow. S.W.A.K. is also really pretty, kind of duochromey. Text Me is a little more shimmery than I expected, but I'm okay with that since it isn't completely shimmer and does stay mostly matte. 

Brush Swatch
The brush swatches look pretty promising. The colors don't lose their metallic sheen, and seem pretty pigmented. Text Me looks like it's barely there, though.

The liquid lipstick is called Strange Love, no doubt a reference to the Stanley Kubrick movie Dr. Strangelove.


The color is beautiful. It's described as "a deep metallic ox-blood red with sparkles." 


You can see tiny gold flakies in the swatch.



It's not a vibrant red, but almost like a dark rusty color. I'm not sure that there are sparkles as much as it just looks metallic. But the formula is creamy and not drying, and has pretty decent staying power. It can survive beverages, and even survived a meal pretty well.

I knew what I wanted was to do a look that was primarily red. I started by Putting Wink all over my lid as a base, and then went in with Text Me in my crease. It did stand out well, to my surprise. The pigments at this point were pretty sheer. I then went in with Kiss Kiss on the outer corners and across my lid, but I found that it wasn't super pigmented by itself. I had to spray my brush with some MAC Fix+ to get the pigment to really stand out and build up. It was easy to build, and kept its pretty sheen. I then hit my brush with more Fix+ and added S.W.A.K. on the center of my lid and the inner corners. It stood out more than I thought it would, which was nice. I followed up with Pink Heart in my inner corners from the Anastasia Beverly Hills Moon Child palette. For drama, I added huge lashes, and smaller bottom lashes, and for fun, added a rhinestone under my eyes and attached them with lash glue. 



I tried using the shadows again for an everyday look, without using any Fix+. It's much more muted that way, and I feel that it lost a little bit of its metallic sheen when I blended it out. 

Using Text Me and S.W.A.K.
As shadows for everyday use, I'm pretty meh about it. But as something for special events, or for pictures, it looks amazing. The liquid lipstick, however, I've been using all the time. I am in love with the color and the formula. I'm glad that it isn't a bright red, since I have so many of those. I feel like it is a unique color. 

Now let's break it down: 

Pros:
  • Cute packaging
  • A lot of product
  • Bold colors in the pan and on the lid
  • Can be used as blush and/or highlighter
  • Has a mirror
  • Awesome lip color
  • Small enough to fit in your purse 
  • Minimal fallout

Cons:
  • No brush
  • Only four eyeshadows 
  • Must use Fix+ or something similar to get the colors to be really bold
  • Lip color only available in this collection 
  • Sheen is lost when blended without Fix+
  • Expensive 

As of right now, it is still available for purchase, so if you want to get your hands on it, now is the time. Keep in mind that Strange Love is available in this collection only, so the only way you can get it is to purchase the collection. Bummer, I know. I am not in love with this collection in its entirety. I love two shadows and the liquid lipstick, and that does not make this collection worth $48.00. The eyeshadows are nice quality though, but I feel for the price there should be at least two more shadows, or a brush, or something. Do you absolutely need this? No. But if you like to collect cute products, then you might think about adding this to your collection. 

You May Also Like

0 comments

Pssst...if you like spooky stories, check out my other website, Weird Hawaii!
//]]>